Basel Kayyali ‘96 Eng is a Senior Partner at McKinsey and Co. where he co-leads the Payor and Provider digital practice globally. In addition, he is the Managing Partner of McKinsey’s Mid-Atlantic Digital Office based in Summit, NJ. He has worked primarily at the intersection of operations, technology, and healthcare, serving clients across the healthcare value chain on various topics, including large operations and digital transformations. He also leads several large prominent hi-tech and telecom clients across a wide range of topics. Prior to McKinsey and business school, Basel worked three and a half years as a marketing strategist and processor architect for Intel Corporation. Basel graduated from Penn State’s College of Engineering with a degree in electrical engineering with honors and earned his MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania as a Palmer Scholar (top 5 percent—highest distinction).
In this episode, you’ll hear advice and insight from Basel on:
• Selecting Penn State and the University Scholars Program / Schreyer Honors College as an immigrant
• Finding community at University Park and finding lifelong healthy activities in college
• How to recognize when you need to make a career shift to reach your full potential
• How a STEM degree can be useful in business school and getting an MBA
• What Scholars should consider about going into consulting, and how consultants focus on client’s potential maximization
• Advice for Scholars applying into McKinsey and other consulting firms
• The three axis structure of McKinsey and the idea of internal networking
• A discussion on travelling in consulting
•Wor k life balance in demanding industries and setting weekly goals
• The importance of mentorship, coaching, and sponsorship – especially in consulting
• Other doors that consulting opens up for former consultants
Schreyer Honors College Links:
• Upcoming Events
• Scholars – Need Assistance? Book an Appointment!
• Alumni – Learn Why and How to Volunteer
• Make a Gift to Benefit Schreyer Scholars
• Join the Penn State Alumni Association
Credits & Notes:
This content is available in text form here.
This show is hosted, produced, and edited by Sean Goheen ‘11 Lib (Schreyer).
The artwork was created by Tom Harrington, the College’s Web Developer.
The sound effect is “Chinese Gong,” accessed via SoundBible used under Creative Commons License.
The theme music is “Conquest” by Geovane Bruno, accessed via Pixabay and used under Creative Commons License.