Uma Pattarkine ’14, ‘14g Bus is the Global ESG Lead & Investment Strategy Senior Analyst at CenterSquare, where she leads their Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategy to incorporate ESG into investment decision-making and management of listed and direct investments. Their research demonstrates embedding ESG considerations into their investment process provides opportunities to create value, reduce risk, and generate superior investment returns. Uma graduated from Penn State with Interdisciplinary Honors and High Distinction, earning a BS in Finance with a minor in International Business, a BS in Accounting, and a Master of Accountancy in 2014, all from the Penn State Smeal College of Business. She is a CFA charter holder and member of the CFA Institute. She serves as the Sustainability Committee co-chair for NAREIM and sits on the Smeal Sustainability Advisory Board. Personally she is an artist, aspiring impact investor, and fascinated by the ability of innovation and disruptive thinking to create big changes.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Uma about:
· Crafting an academic schedule to fit your interests in a four-year span
· The value of being involved in leadership opportunities as a student – even if not directly tied to a major
· The origins of Student Council’s THON team
· Finding your why and defining a personal mission statement
· Deciding on career paths in finance and accounting
· Leaning into your personal curiosity in the thesis process
· Using your home college’s resources in addition to the Honors College’s in the job search
· Finding unique opportunities by looking past a company’s primary product
· Working as an institutional investor on the buy side
· The broad array of options for business majors
· All things ESG as it emerges in the investment industry
· Building a business unit or club up from scratch
· Why Uma joined CenterSquare and working in finance strategy
· Jumping at opportunities – like sharing your knowledge on TV with little notice
· Getting involved in your professional community beyond your job
· ESG and sustainability in real estate, the built environment, and even in other industries and disciplines!
· Finding your professional purpose
· The importance of continual, lifelong learning
· Special shoutouts for the College’s staff – and why you should connect with them at shc.psu.edu/appointments
· The power of the Penn State network
Don’t forget to like, follow, or subscribe wherever you are engaging with this content.
Schreyer Honors College Links:
• Upcoming Events
• Scholars – Need Assistance? Book an Appointment!
• Alumni – Learn Why and How to Volunteer
• Make a Gift to Benefit Schreyer Scholars
• Join the Penn State Alumni Association
Credits & Notes:
This content is available in text form here.
This show is hosted, produced, and edited by Sean Goheen ‘11 Lib (Schreyer).
The artwork was created by Tom Harrington, the College’s Web Developer.
The sound effect is “Chinese Gong,” accessed via SoundBible used under Creative Commons License.
The theme music is “Conquest” by Geovane Bruno, accessed via Pixabay and used under Creative Commons License.